"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade wind in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." --Mark Twain

July 5, 2004

Surprise Visit - June 15, 2004

Well it's my last day here in Russia (June 16, 2004). Today was going to be just shopping, want to pick up a couple of Winter Russian hats, and look at jewelry styles. Russian jewelry is very well made, much better than Chinese, and they have amber stones found only here in Russia.

On the way to shopping area, Vadim said we will go by the cemetery. A surprise visit. Hmmm, well ok..Well as it turned out, this was the cemetery for the war dead from the siege of old Saint Petersburg or Leningrad during WWII.. Nearly 490,000 people lost there lives here in this city during the siege against the German invaders. Stop, and think about the number for a moment. The siege went on for 900 days. It was extremely moving; walking by long graves sites where the bodies of unknown innocent civilians lay buried. Marked only with a date; 1942, 1943, 1944, 1945. All Russian school children are required to visit this cemetery, and discuss the history of this serene moving place. Something that should be practiced in another country I'm thinking of. It really made me think, as I watched a woman in her 70's, walk silently alone along the gravesites, reflecting perhaps about a long lost relative. A reminder of a dark time in Russian history. Moving.

My family drove me to the airport south of the city. I will fly to Irkutsk, in East Siberia, my hub to hop the Mongolian Railway thru Mongolia, on to China. I bumped into a Russian man traveling to Irkutsk who spoke English, he took me under his wing thru the flight process, which is much different than at our airports, and this was the domestic airport with very few English signs.
Fun though, I made plane.

It was difficult to say goodbye to Vadim, Olga and Sveta. We have grown very close. We all decided this was not goodbye, but "see you next time"!! This lovely country, beautiful cities and lovely people will be visited again my me for sure. I wish more American tourists would discover this gem.

Flew to Irkutsk, stayed in this small town for two days, visited Lake Baikal, the deepest freshwater lake in the world. It holds 20% of the worlds fresh water supply!. Beautiful place. Took a tour of the city which still possess some of the oldest examples of all wooden houses, going back to 1890's. An early rise on the 19th, and I hoped on the Trans Mongolian Railway. My 3 day odyessy across Mongolia, the old trade route between Russia and China. I'll be in Beijing on June 21.

Just a few differences I've noted while in Russia between them and us
Russians wear t here wedding ring on the right hand Hardly any business suits here, very casual Most live in apartments in the city, and have second homes in the country Cars rule!!! Pedestrians have No rights Business men carry pursesThe current fashion for shoes are very long and pointed, haaaaaaaaa like pixey shoes, some toes point up.
Some fashionable young women walk together arm in arm on the crowded streets Russian custom: Sit down for a minute, relax think, before you embark on a long trip Some russian men and women have more than one spouse. No salad dressings here, just mayonnaise! Kraft, get your stuff together, big market.

On to Mongolia, see you again soon. Still trying to get more pictures up, will try in a few days. Ok, I already arrived in Beijing, I'll tell you about the trip next, everything fantastic. Beijing is amazing. Bye for now

Yours in Travel,
Bill