"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade wind in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." --Mark Twain

October 13, 2014

 No Business
Well got in here in Delhi at 3:30 AM, I knew this would be bad but the was the schedule I had, but no sweat.. Got four hours of sleep and was up ready to tour. The hotel is nice and it has a great name "Good Times Hotel", and located near a Metro stop. So was off around 10AM to head for Metro stop, a short walk up the Main Street. Crossing a street a man approached me and first said "no business" he noticed I looked new here (obvious Western tourist with ball cap) and asked where I was going and if he could help me. I said the Metro and he said No No not today, Sunday and very busy, stand up only and lots of pickpockets. He called over two young guys with a Tuk-Tuk, a small 3-wheeled motorcycle with a covered cab fit for two persons. This is the "taxi" al over Asia, I road in many in Thailand. He said they will take you to your downtown stop for 20 rupees, about 30 cents! I went for it, and had a fun morning ride in town, it's a "wower" as you might expect in Delhi traffic!!
The traffic looks chaotic, everyone cross weaving and heavy but as you watch it you notice the cars work together  like a symphony. Honking here is routine and it's not be caused your mad at a driver, the horn is used as a "here I'm coming by you"

The boys took me to an Indian government run (makes you feel good right?) tourist agency. The agent suggested instead of me winging it to the places I wanted to see today to get a package deal with driver and guide and they will be your private guides for the day. I'm thinking $$.. But it was amazingly reasonable so I went for it!
John and Sanu were terrific, great English and fun personalities. They called me "Sir" too many times and always jumped to open the door for me... Wow royalty !

I got to the two main places I wanted to go that were not in the G-adventures tour, Qutb Minar and Humayuns tomb. Pictures follow I hope. Qutb Minar was the center of  where  the Islamic movement began in India. It was built around 1250AD, by the then powerful Caliphate Aibar. It's billed as the largest Minaret any where at 14 meters wide and 75 meters high, the site is impressive with early Islamic carvings and architecture. Local Indian builders added their blend of Indian Architecture making it unique in the Islamic world.

Humayun's tomb on the other hand was built in 1565, during the latrer Mughal empire by his wife grieving over Humayun's (emperor) death. It's was a precursor to the design of the Taj Mahal and exhibits a lot of Persian architecture style since Humayun on his travels brought many Persian architects back to India with him.

Will meet the tour group and our CEO (chief experience officer) tonight. There are only 7 of us so this should be a great tour. We do old Delhi tomorrow.