"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade wind in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." --Mark Twain

November 11, 2017

Taiwan Evening Meal

Hi all,

I arrived in Tainan yesterday. It’s on the Western coast of the island nation. Tainan is the old capital city and is deep in history and culture, going back to the Dutch rule in the 17th century (more on that later). But one thing Tainan is known for is its great and distinct food much admired by the rest of Taiwan. One of the great traditions all over Taiwan is having meals out with family and friends. More than half of the Taiwan people eat all their meals out. I have gone to only a couple of traditional restaurants, most of my meals I get by walking along the streets and looking for a busy place that I know is popular with the locals.

Last night was no exception, except I had one of Tainan’s traditional dishes - cooked eel over noodles. Yea a great vegetarian meal right? Actually I asked via google translator if they had a vegetarian plate, the waitress said no, but I have fish. How about eel? I said go for it, and asked if I would like it. She just laughed. She spoke great English, didn’t need google :)

It was good! Tasted a bit like river trout. Here. Is the scene: